Xanthan Gum is a powder milled from the dried cell coat of a micro-organism called Xanthonomonas Campestris, grown under laboratory conditions.
It is naturally produced to stick the bacteria to the leaves of cabbage-like plants.
Xanthan Gum's most important property is its very high low-shear viscosity coupled with its strongly shear-thinning character.
Its properties include:
- High viscosity at low concentrations
- Good freeze- thaw stability
- Excellent stability over a wide ph range
- Salt tolerant
- Excellent temperature stability
- Rapid hydration without lumping
- Predicable and reliable viscosity
- Gel forming in the presence of Locust Bean Gum, Agar Agar and Kappa Carrageenan
- Stabilises foam for a longer shelf life
- Excellent suspending ability
Applications: Gels only in the presence of Locust Bean Gum (LBG), Agar Agar or Carrageenan Kappa. Stabiliser. Suspensions thickener. Emulsifier. Foaming agent. Replaces gluten in yeast breads. Retards ice crystal growth in freeze-thaw situations.
Rate of Hydration: Rapid
Colour: Light to off white powder
Ph Solubility: 1-13
Doseage Rates: 0.05% - 1.5%
- Availability: In Stock (more info)
- Product Code: MSK-3860